When I wrote and published my first book in 2008, I didn’t know what I didn’t know in terms of the mechanics of independent publishing. Yes, I knew how to write (though the evolution of my novel is a blog post unto itself) via my professional writing and editing experience, and I understood enough about the process to seek out a professional editor. Beyond that, however, the process of transforming my manuscript into a marketable offering on Amazon.com (and everywhere books are sold online) was a daunting task.
Oh my God, where can I find a talented book cover designer I can trust?
Hold on, I need to format my book…and not just for paperback, but for something called Kindle?
Fast-forward to the present. I’m blessed to own a business that includes being an independent publishing consultant and offering all-inclusive packages designed to make the process of writing and publishing a book simple, efficient, and fun. I contract with interesting clients and a team of creative professionals who provide the services that are beyond my zone of genius — like cover design and formatting — and factored into the cost. The result is personalized service with everything you need to produce a quality book.
Are you ready to publish your book? Here are my six simple steps to independent publishing:
- Select a Publishing Package– Whatever your goal, I offer a package that meets your needs.
- Choose Your Publication Date – I require approval on the FINAL edits a minimum of two months prior.
- Commit to Your Project – My collaborative editing process requires a time commitment from both of us.
- Approve Final Edits – After a few rounds of editing, you, the author, must approve the final edits before the manuscript moves into formatting.
- Approve Formatting – Once you approve the final edits, your manuscript moves into the formatting stage. What is formatting? It pertains the interior style of the book including fonts, headers, chapter templates, and justification. When your manuscript makes it to the formatting part of the process, you can no longer add or remove paragraphs, rewrite sentences, delete content or add new content. When is the time to do that? At any point within Step 4. By the time you approve final edits, you’ve reviewed your document repeatedly. Take as long as you need before signing off because we will not make any further editing changes after it moves into formatting.
- Approve Proof Copy – Before your book goes live online, you must approve either a digital version or a paperback proof. If you’re a new author, I recommend the latter.
Aside from editing, formatting, and cover design, my publishing packages include an ISBN (International Book Standard Number) assignment, a keyword-rich back cover description, set-up on Amazon, and a free paperback proof copy, among other services. You retain 100% ownership and all rights to your book. For the full list, click here.
As your independent publishing consultant, I am just as vested as you in the outcome. Producing good books with original, compelling covers and stylish, readable formatting is my top priority. Making you look good is my goal. If you have any questions or would like to schedule your no-obligation coaching call to discuss your project, contact me.
And be sure to tune in every Monday at 5 PM Eastern for Your Book Your Brand Your Business.